"The Promise" - When In Rome (1988)

One album, one hit. But what a hit it is. It came late in the decade so it may seem odd that, for me, this is the quintessential 80's song. The musical style and arrangement, the lyrics, the video, it all comes together for a perfect 80's feel. It fits better with the music from 1983-85 and perhaps the group would have had more success had they been a few years earlier.

When In Rome was Clive Farrington, Andrew Mann, and Michael Floreale, all of whom came from the band Leisure. The only other thing Leisure gave us was Corinne Drewery, singer for fellow one-hit wonders Swing Out Sister ("Breakout").

"The Promise" is a song of true love, acceptance and comfort. Words from someone who will always be there and will always understand. It speaks of all the things we yearn for in a relationship.

"If you need a friend, don't look to a stranger,
You know in the end, I'll always be there.
And when you're in doubt, and when you're in danger,
Take a look all around, and I'll be there.
When your day is through, and so is your temper,
You know what to do, I'm gonna always be there.

I'm sorry, but I'm just thinking of the right words to say.
I know they don't sound the way I planned them to be.
And if I had to walk the world, I'd make you fall for me,
I promise you, I promise you I will. "


"The Promise" Lyrics